In the last couple of months I’ve come to realize that Object Storage is the worst thing you can recommend to an average IT organization (or even to a reseller). And yes, I know, I’ve been trying to convince all my readers and clients how cool it is in all its aspects and potential… but when come to reality it’s not true! Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a strong supporter of it, but It’s usually very hard to understand and sell this technology and it needs a different, smarter, approach… just only from the marketing point of view! Users want solutions, not backends Object storage does not make sense for most organizations out there. Accessing storage via APIs is out of reach for most traditional IT shops and, even when you have developers, they want to access data via NFS/SMB (or a local file system) because they are used to doing it in that way. Inertia is so strong in status quo changes that it will take a long time before we can actually see a real evolution on how we access our storage infrastructures (I mean access storage via APIs here). On the other hand, IT organizations have issues with storage and they constantly looking for solutions. Object storage is not a solution per se, but when coupled with the right tools (gateways, interfaces or specific software)...Read More
Tag: Object storage
The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not (necessarily) those of any current, future or former client or employer. As I reserve the right to review my position based on future evidence, they may not even reflect my own views by the time you read them. Protip: If in doubt, ask.
- 006- Introduction to Computational Storage (w/ Scott Shadley, VP of Marketing at NGD Systems)
- 005- Data Storage for Containers (with Alex Chircop, CTO and founder of StorageOS)
- 004- What's new in Data Protection Management? (with Chris Wahl, Chief Technologist at Rubrik)
- 003- Storage for Service Providers (with Boyan Ivanov, CEO and co-founder of Storpool)
- 002 - NAS consolidation and private cloud storage (with Andy Hardy, EMEA VP at Nasuni)